1. Theft From a Car – Unfortunately, if your car is broken into, most auto insurance policies will only cover your car, not the expensive birthday present you just bought for your wife and left in the back seat. Did you know, however, that your homeowner’s policy can in some cases cover this type of loss?
2. Identity Theft – Do you have coverage against identity theft? You might and not even know it! Many homeowner’s insurance companies include identity theft coverage in their standard policy.
3. Stolen Camera While on Vacation – Don’t let a stolen camera ruin your vacation! Most homeowner’s policies cover this loss.
4. Changing the Locks – In the event of a home burglary or stolen house keys, many homeowner’s policies will pay for the installation of new locks to help keep you and your family safe.
5. Fallen Trees – The recent storms across the US have brought down thousands of trees. Should the wind know down a tree on your land, even if it doesn’t hit your house, many homeowners policies will cover the costs for removal of the tree.
These are only a few of the many coverages your insurance policies may include. Check out A.M. Best’s Consumer Insurance Center for even more! And remember that filing numerous homeowner’s or auto claims may result in a higher premium or even being dropped by your insurer at renewal. If a claim is not larger than your deductible, it might not make sense to file a claim. Check with your insurer or your agent to find out what your specific policy includes. And in the event of a loss, make sure you discuss the proper claim filing procedures with your agent or insurance company.
A.M. Best also reminds consumers that in the event of any loss, insurers do not send out blank checks. Keep all your paperwork, including receipts. And to best prepare for the unexpected, please create a complete home inventory. Or you can let us prepare one for you! Contact us today by calling (404) 835-7700 or by e-mail for a confidential, no obligation consultation. We look forward to serving you!