Make your house unappealing
• Keep your trees, bushes, and hedges trimmed to thieves can't hide out
• Add lighting to all outside entrances around your house so burglars can’t easily hide
• Keep your window coverings closed when you’re not home. That way they can’t see hot items such as TVs, blu-rays,
• When you buy new items, such as a new TV, don’t leave the empty box where anyone can see it. Keep it inside until
• If you park your car in your drive way, don’t leave your garage door opener inside the car.
Make it difficult for even a skilled burglar to get in
• Install an alarm system. With so many alarm companies around, make sure to check with the Better Business Bureau
before making your final decision.
• Install window film on all vulnerable windows, such as those next to door handles.
• Get to know your neighbors! Helpful neighbors are a great defense if they see something suspicious at your house
while you are not at home.
Don’t make their job any easier if they break in
• Keep valuables, such as jewelry and family heirlooms, in a secure place, not lying around.
• Take a personal home inventory. By keeping a record of all the items in your home, you're prepared should you have
to file a homeowners claim. And if you include serial numbers in your report, you actually make it harder for thieves to
sell stolen goods on the black market.